Calling All Photographers!
Thousands of people ride Greenlink – Greenville County’s public transit system – every day. We want to capture their experiences and their stories.
On October 10th, we invite professional and amateur photographers to ride Greenlink and document Greenville Faces: Transit. We’re awarding prizes for the top photographs!
How will the photos be used?
The winning photos will be featured in GVLToday, November's First Friday and through the end of the month at Greenville Center for Creative Arts.
Additional select photos will be featured in an online gallery and on Greenlink buses and in printed/digital materials, crediting the artists.
- Photographers must register to participate by 10/9 by noon.
- You can sign up for one of three shifts: 5:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., or 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- No more than two photographers will be allowed on a bus at a time, and bus routes will be assigned and rotated during the shift.
- Each bus will have a volunteer to document riders’ stories and information and obtain photo releases.
- Contest photos are allowed ONLY from October 10th (although you are welcome and encouraged to ride ahead of time to scout out the buses, stops, and potential shots).
- Your five best photos must be uploaded by October 17th (Registered photographers will receive the link to upload their photos on the day of the contest.)
- Submitted Top 5 Images will be considered as stand-alones and do not need to form a single narrative. Images submitted are max 1MB for judging. Winners will be contacted for high resolution images before printing.
Who will select the winners and what do they get?
Eli Warren, professional editorial and commercial photographer in Greenville, will serve as artistic lead for the jury. Jury members will include a representative from each of the contest sponsors – Greenville Center for Creative Arts, the Jolley Foundation, the Piedmont Health Foundation – and Greenlink. They will select a first, second, and third prize and will nominate three more photos for a readers’ choice contest on GVLtoday.
How will I know what to do that day?
Generally, arrive at the Greenlink transit center at 100 W. McBee Avenue 15 minutes before your chosen shift. Plan to stay for a short debrief afterwards. You’ll be given a tshirt to wear that day. Refreshments will be served and parking provided. But all of those specifics and more will be sent when you sign up for your shift.